Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Danny Edwards BLVD BBQ...A personal touch

This piece is a little late but I got caught up in finishing finals and graduating so I hope you don't mind if the tastes are a little stale. Don’t worry, I took good notes.

After our Secured Transactions final Jess Langford and I headed down to ol’ Southwest Boulevard to sample one of Jess' favorite joints. Unfortunately this was the same day Joe Biden was in town and we got sidetracked, twisted and turned around, unable to make a left from Southwest Trafficway.

Anyway, I sat in the cramped parking waiting for Jess. Behind me was a partially brick building with barred windows, a neon sign blaring Danny Edwards BLVD BBQ and a garage-like-sliding door which could be opened weather-permitting.

With a whetted appetite we walked in about 1 pm to a mostly full, but not quite crowded eatery. We didn’t have to wait in line at all to order at the counter. I got the pulled pork and fries as usual even though Jess, who is normally a pork eater like me, insisted I order the brisket.

As we walked to our table Jess pointed to Danny Edwards who was behind the counter personally slicing our meat to order. “Now how do you know that?,” I asked. “I saw a documentary on one of the public access channel a few weeks ago,” he replied. “Good to know.”

While waiting hungrily, my eyes toured the room which had one brick wall. The rest plaster and covered with black and white photos. The photos showed old BBQ joints and Kansas City Sites. On the wall opposite the counter, Edwards’ many news clippings and awards were displayed.
After a short wait our food was brought to our table which was covered by a red and white checkered picnic tablecloth, a single style of sauce and specifically no ketchup. I’d like to comment on the server who held a solid grin the entire time we were in the building and who kept our glasses full of water. If you want soda there is a fountain on the side of the room for your convenience.
When we asked for ketchup for our fries she brought us a small cup each which led me to a new tenet for finding quality barbeque: whether or not they have ketchup on the table. If the table is ketchupless then the owners or managers hold their sauce in particularly high esteem.




There was no room spared on my plate. The entire surface was covered with fries, a standard warm white bun and overflowing shredded pork. As Jess said, “If you order a large and it fits on the bun then it’s not a large.” Well put. The pork itself was good, had a paprika based rub, a little juice, but was a little dry too.
Jess let me try the brisket that he had been raving about and I get why he orders it over the pork. The beef was juicy, cut thick and tender, loose and falling apart on the plate. If you’re going to Danny Edwards, get the brisket.
I slathered my delightfully sloppy sandwich and noticed the speckles of complexity in the sauce which was about as original of a sauce as I’ve had in KC. It had a serious kick, which Jess guessed was Chinese Five-Spice. The kick was backed by some sort of sweetness. The thick nectar blended serenely with the flavored pork in a creative balance. Hampton Williams, who arrived about the time we were finishing up, said that the sauce reminded him of a Texan sauce he had tried. Hampton took Jess’ advice and ordered the brisket and was not disappointed. Jess claims it’s the best sauce in KC. I disagree but I am fond of its uniqueness.
The fries were hand-cut, fresh, simply and softly spiced and arrived in abundance. One indication, here, that fries are hand-cut is when their lengths are inconsistent. I think they might have been lathered in the paprika meat rub which continued to blend well with the sauce. They were pretty thick and had plenty of potato-meat. Some were a little soggy but others were quite crispy. I would have preferred a more consistent crispiness, but enjoyed them thoroughly.
While we ate we noticed several employees, starting with Danny himself, take a break in the back. Danny’s plate was covered in a variety of meats. It’s always a good sign to see the owner and employees all eating the food they made.
Something to note is that Edwards offers a Southern Style sandwich option which means that the meat is covered in coleslaw. I’ve never been a coleslaw lover, but you might like it. Edwards also offers “Authentic Mexican Chili,” which makes sense as it is located on Boulevard, which boasts a congregation of Kansas City Mexican restaurants.
If you’re going to try Danny Edwards BLVD BBQ make sure you go during lunch because that is the only meal for which it is open. I implore you to find some time during your lunch break or on a Saturday afternoon to make your way down to this gem on the Boulevard.

No comments:

Post a Comment