Friday, May 25, 2012

Talking-head journalism...in reference to Gates Bar-B-Q

I've had a few complaints about that last post. I don't retract anything I said because I really do think Gates' establishments are trash.

Some of these complaints came from those who think Gates is the best around. While I disagree with them I open my blog space up to anyone who wants to rebut my assessment. You can write your own rebuttle which I will place in my timeline and I won't argue back. Another option is that I'll meet up, interview you and give you a chance to say your piece as to why Gates should be given a shot. It would only be fair for any potential KC newcomer to have both sides represented.

The result of that last post is exactly why I don't like to do this research by myself. Art, like anything else, is best viewed through many lenses and besides that, with company. And to tell a complete story, I like to have at least an additional opinion if not several around to examine the works.

Really, that last post is specifically what I think is wrong with the state of journalism today. There are too many talking heads ranting and raving this way and that saying this is all good and that is all bad, so if anyone has an antidote for my venom, please enlighten us.

Also, a friend took offense to the phrase "all the locals" which I agree was a bit over-inclusive. There are many Kansas City residents who agree with me about Gates and I didn't mean to sound condenscending, or maybe I did. Either way, that was a little harsh and misleading.

Thanks for reading guys. If you have any suggestions for joints or want to join the culinary think tank let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment