Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A note about this blog

I've had a few suggestions or complaints that I should review each joint or establishment in a vacuum, that I should take it for what it is and analyze accordingly. Either I've been unclear about my goal here, they missed the point or I've changed my direction.

Kansas City is one of the BBQ capitols of the United States and thus, in this particular genre, the world. There are around 200 BBQ establishments and Kansas City and you can get at least something barbequed at most restaurants.

The competition is high. Kansas City is the big leagues and I willbe/have been judging each establishment as such. Think about the NFL compared to the NCAA. When you watch a game you expect an NFL receiver to make catches that you wouldn't ask of an NCAA athlete. I expect a KC BBQ establishment to pay attention to details, to honor the city's history and if nothing else to compete. They are in the bigs afterall.

It is important to note, as a friend explained to me, that almost any Kansas City BBQ joint would be at the top of the pecking order in any other city in the world, and but for a few exceptions, he's probably right. But, this is about Kansas City BBQ and although I don't hold KC sports teams or athletes to a high standard, I hold their BBQ establishments to an elite level.

That being said, I recently wrote a scathing review of Gates Bar-B-Q and offered anyone an opportunity to explain Gates' positive side with a no rebut guarantee. (If you know me you know that a no-rebut guarantee from Alex Rohr is a rare opportunity.) There were no takers, but a friend did mention a few positives that I neglected.

Gates is open to at least midnight every night, including Sunday (most joints aren't open at all on Sunday). It is open until 1 am on Friday and Saturday. So, if you're up late, near a Gates or passing through town, and you're hungry, then yes, you should stop at Gates over McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell or any other fast food chain. Also, they have free coffee so if you need a late night meal when you're studying, it is a decent place to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment