Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Wabash BBQ...This is what I'm talking about

We we passed a mass of wood piled outside a small red building. Smoke poured out of the little shack with consistent fervor. We had driven about an hour from UMKC's campus on a tip from Dan Thode's boss that Wabash BBQ in Excelsior Springs has the best ribs in Kansas City, a claim we’ve heard before. Hampton Williams was only too happy to join.

Wabash, open since 1997, is located in an old Wabash Railroad depot and the restaurant follows the theme with menu sections like “Conductor’s Favorites,” and “Engineers Entrees.”

Wabash is everything I dream of when I imagine old fashioned authentic barbeque and the menu’s slogan explains why: “Always Smokin’ Something Good.” I don’t think this is puffery.
While we waited in the bar, a tobacco smoking area, for our meal we watched several aluminum trays each topped with aluminum foil and filled with piled meat pass by us from the smoke shack, a separate building, on their way to the kitchen. There are two smoke-free dining areas on either side of the kitchen.
The plain plaster walls were laden with railroad and music memorabilia. Wabash has live music regularly and has a stage set up out back called the Blues Garden. Next time I return I’ll be staying for a show.
Between the three of us we ordered two baskets of Sweet Corn Nuggets from “All Aboard.” The nuggets were crispy on the outside and had the consistency of sweet cream corn on the inside. They were simple, rich and tasty but nothing particularly special. We should have only ordered one basket because the portions were ample. The nuggets were served with ranch that was creamy and lacked the tartness I’ve noticed in many ranches. We theorized that it might be homemade.
Thode and Williams both ordered Short End Rib Dinners which each came with two of Wabash’s Signals and Switches, or sides. They both got beans and fries.

Williams willingly relinquished one of his ribs, and I have to tell you it made me for the first time question my control group. The meat was a little tough, although I thought, in a nice way. The juice gushed in my mouth and the meat fell apart at a touch from my teeth. The cartilage was almost edible after wading in its own juices for so long. Each bite released sweet soft smoky flavor. The meat quality was a little fatty but in a good way, and I’m usually of the school that cuts off the fat and throws it to the dogs. I ripped it apart and gobbled it down.

I have no idea how long this meat had been smoking but compared to what I’ve tasted elsewhere, Wabash just might always be smokin’.
Williams said that part of his slab was a little overcooked for his taste and that that end was a bit burned. However, Williams explained, “I don’t think I got the best ribs they ever served, but I see how this at its best would be the best. That beings said, when my father is in town, I’ll bring him here,” a particularly lofty compliment coming from Williams.
Conductor’s Favorites provided an excellent variety of sandwich options. Brisket, ham, turkey, sliced pork and pulled pork were all available in denominations of a quarter-pound, third-of-a-pound, half-pound and 12 ounces, which is an attribute of which I am rather fond.
The Wabash, the 12 ounces of pulled pork that I ordered, came on a hoagie which had been heated or maybe lightly toasted. I know from seeing inside the kitchen it came from a bag, which is not a problem considering most of my favorite joints just give you a few slices of bread.
The hoagie was soft, fluffy and warm and coated with some kind of film. I wondered aloud if it could have been buttered, and Williams noted that it was likely just juice from the meat they were handling. Cue the Homer Simpson gluttony groan.
The meat spread, spilled all over the plate creating a mad mass, a manly mess. The bottom piece of the hoagie had been soaked with juice, but not enough to tear it apart thus the integrity of sandwich was maintained.
The Wabash immediately became one of my favorite sandwiches. The pork was a bit rough and tight yet juicy and almost damp. I loved the dichotomy of meat which had been cooked into slight toughness maintaining so much gravy. And, in every bite I tasted a hint of hickory and more than a splash of smooth smoke.
You may be surprised that I’ve waited so long to talk about the sauce. Well, that’s because the meat was that damn good. The sandwich did not initially come with any sauce on it as the meat stood on its own four amputated legs.
However, the sauce sat conveniently on the table in a squeeze bottle. I plopped some on my plate and slathered more on my sandwich. Wabash’s sauce was an original, something I have yet to taste in my culinary travels. The clearly molasses base birthed a rich, sweet sauce, that had about the consistency of thick syrup.  
While this sandwich may have had one of the lesser sauce to meat ratios that I’ve ever eaten on purpose, I loved the sauce, I adore it. The sauce and the sandwich truly worked as a team, complementing each other’s strengths, blending into each other’s tastes. To make sure I got enough of the sauce, I dipped my fries in it, which brings me to my next point.
The standard wedge fries from a frozen package were disappointing. They weren’t bad by any means but they could have been crispy. They seemed like maybe they had been dressed and waiting for the rest of the party, then got tired.
While I don’t blame a restaurant for the occasional preparation lapse, I encourage Wabash’s owners to cut their own potatoes. This delightful meat deserves a little more respect in the form of a properly prepared potato sidekick. But, they have been successful enough to open up another store in Chillicothe so I guess they don’t need my advice.
I tasted some of the baked beans which were standard, simple and tangy.  With only plain navy beans and no meat, this side seemed to be kind of a throwaway compared to other aspects of the restaurant.
The service was excellent. My water glass was almost never empty and when the woman working in the office, who I presume to be an owner, saw that the lunch crowd was picking up she refilled our drinks and asked if we needed anything else.
Go to Wabash BBQ. Go out of your way or find a way to make it on your way, but go to Wabash BBQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment