Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Fiorella's Jack Stack...addendum

After receiving several complaints on my facebook wall about my last post, I realized I was unclear as to my full opinion about Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbeque.

Due to the abundant positive press and exaggerated word-of-mouth good will that I regularly hear about Jack Stack, I went a little Fox News and overcorrected. Because I believe that Jack Stack is overrated, I took the more negative approach to even things out. But that wasn't fair, and that wasn't balanced.

I do not retract anything I stated in the previous post. I believe that Jack Stack is a poor impression of Kansas City barbeque. However, I did not intend to imply that you should never eat at Jack Stack. It would never be my idea to go there, but if that is where the rest of a group wanted to go, I would definitely be willing. In fact, this last trip I invited myself along.

However, if you have never had KC barbeque Jack Stack is not the place to start.

About a month ago a friend's acquaintances visited him from England. They were in Kansas City for less than a week and their chances of returning are slim. They were taken to one barbeque establishment and it was Jack Stack. This error is the kind that I'm trying to prevent.

While Jack Stack does have great meat, all-around solid sides and splendid service, the restaurant is not an accurate depiction of historic Kansas City barbeque. It is an adaptation. I tried to make the point that Jack Stack is not authentic Kansas City barbeque and that's my problem with it. That and the bland sauce and lack of smoky taste, but these issues are directly related.

Some friends argued that Jack Stack is original or unique and that I should judge it differently. This may be a fair point if Jack Stack was original or unique. While it may be different from every othe barbeque establishment in Kansas City, it is far from unique. Jack Stack is simply another representation of most other restaurants on the Plaza and I judge it by no standards but my own.

This leads me to believe I have also been unclear as to how I am/have been judging each establishment, and I'll get another post out about that after I finish this huge paper due in my Business Planning class.

In general though I have been/will be judging on authenticity, SAUCE, meat (preparation and quality), sides and service although if the food is good enough I'm indifferent to service.

I hope this has cleared things up. Thank you for reading and please continue to comment and complain. I encourage you to comment or complain on the blog itself and not on facebook. Also, I encourage you not to call me an idiot for having an opinion.

Special thanks to Nolan Lawrence for reading the post in front of me and explaining how it came off so that I could give a fairer assessment.

No comments:

Post a Comment