Tuesday, August 7, 2012

BBQ at the K...Probably your best ballpark option

The several times that I ate at Kaufmann Stadium the food wood stale, so this last time I went out of my way to find the one barbeque stand. While my order could never stack up to a real KC bbq joint, it served as a viable substitute to aging nachos or flimsy hotdogs.

The food sat in barely covered vats, behind a glass window. I tried to order a meal that included a pork sandwich with two sides until I was informed, in a sarcastic manner, that fries were not a side. I didn't think this made any sense, but I adjusted my order. I ended up getting a pork sandwich, fries and cheesy corn.

The price, as you would expect in any ballpark was exorbitant, and were I not eating at an entertainment venue, it would have been grossly unreasonable for the quality, although the portions were substantial.

Picnic tables sat close to the stand for those who wished to comfortably eat their meals. Instead of sitting down to this fine bbq feast, I marched several levels to my seat which stood perched behind home plate, to struggle while eating from my lap.

The pork, which lazily lacked even the taste of liquid smoke, was pre-soaked in average bbq sauce reminiscent of KC Masterpiece. The pork contained little fat, but still seemed cheap.The warm sesame seed bun maintained its structural integrity, effectively holding the sandwich together.

The fries were standard, pre-frozen and bland. They were neither crispy, nor soggy. I was not disapointed, nor was I exactly pleased.

The cheesy corn, was simple, but at least contained small pieces of ham, which added flavor.

Overall, this bbq meal was acceptable considering its location. If you're going to Kaufmann it's worth grabbing bbq over the other limited options. Just don't think that you're getting KC bbq with this meal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment