Friday, June 8, 2012

Auxiliary Benefits of my Barbecue Quest

Over the last few weeks I've forced myself, with the help of several friends, into a barbecue boot camp. I realized that my time in Kansas City is coming to a close and I wasted too much time not eating the incredible variety of barbecue that this city has to offer. So, I've been sprinting, making up time to try as many restaurants, dives and joints as possible. Still, by the time I leave at the end of July I will only have visited a fraction of those that KC has to offer.

This saddens me because I spent three years here, and probably could have tried every pulled pork sandwich in the metropolitan area. It may sound silly, but I'll regret this omission for a long time. Still, I've learned in my quest for the best BBQ sandwich, and not just about meat and sauce.

Since I started this blog I've developed a more finely-tuned sense of taste. I take my time eating now where before I'd often rush through a meal. I pay more attention to my food's details, the spices, the preparation, the fat-content, the cost-to-portion proportion. I enjoy eating in a different way than I ever have.

This quest has influenced me at a more personal level too. I often become stagnant in the establishments I frequent, like many people do. Now I'm more inclined to try a new restaurant, to go out of my way, just because I've never eaten there before. And I guess this idea has expanded my mind a little. Maybe I sound like I'm exaggerating but really, forcing myself to try new BBQ has adapted my mind, switched it to a different mode, to a more curious, more adventurous channel.

Still, like anyone else I have my favorite establishments, my Cheers and my personal habits. But, because of this effort, the quest for variety of all kinds has become ingrained in me, soaked, infused in every morsel like well-smoked meat.

I appreciate that anyone reads this and I hope that some randoms stumble upon it. If just one tourist goes to a BBQ joint other than Jack Stack or Gates, I have made the world a better place.

P.S. I have reviews for Woodyard Bar-B-Que and Smokin' Guns BBQ coming up. They are written but my phone is taking an unfortunately long time to send the pictures to my g-mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment